Friday, March 20, 2009

looking from that window.


I was feeling ecstatic throughout the day.

I went to sleep the night before with a smile on my lips and a fast beating of the heart. My joy could not be contained. Anticipation kept me from sleeping but when i did finally fall asleep, my dream was one that made me open my eyes the next morning with traces of smile that lingered on.

Mid day. And I was still heady with the joyful feelings I had inside. Even chocking on a sharp odour that stung the nose and made my eyes water in one of the classes had zero effect. I was immuned.


The sky darkened. Night fell. With a child-like demeanour, i waited impatiently at the front door. My cellphone rang. Once, then twice. But there was no need to answer that call, because i could see them from the spot where i stood. Like billions of fireworks that went up, up and away to the scattered stars above, that was how i felt when i greeted them. We laughed a little, we talked a little. What lasted for an hour felt like seconds. In a blink of an eye, they had to set out for their journey again.

"Send my regards to Nadiah. Have fun in Bandung!"

I said with enthusiasm I did not feel. A quick hug and pecks on the cheeks, then they were gone.

With heavy steps i climbed the stairs, then i went straight to the window and saw my father driving the car out of the gate.

Cold metals pressed on my cheeks, cooling them. However,something warm trickled down that coldness and my shoulders shook with the force of trying to keep it all inside.


They left me with a clear box filled with water. I peeked inside and saw a green little creature nibbling on a floating piece of cabbage. I sighed and thought,

"If a tortoise is the closest thing i can get now as a reminder of my own flesh and blood, then i shall cherish it with all my heart."


1 comment:

  1. i got two in my home
    one is named kura
    the other one is also kura
    so two makes the name

    *recallin pendekar kura-kura in DBZ

    ReplyDelete